For the better part of 40 years, Michael Gerber has been encouraging business owners to work “on, not in” their business. Gerber’s knack for simplifying the complex art of starting and growing a company really resonates.
The first book I ever read about entrepreneurship was The E-Myth by Michael Gerber.
I loved it.
Gerber’s knack for simplifying the complex art of starting and growing a company resonated with me immediately. Although I’ve never met Michael, I consider him to be one of my very first teachers.
I have not read his more recent books so when his publicist contacted me last week to see if I would interview Michael on Built to Sell Radio, I was keen to hear what he had been up to since The E-Myth.
In this interview, you’ll get a summary of his new book, Beyond The E-Myth including:
- Why every company should be built as a product to sell.
- The four stages of building a sellable company.
- How to engage “the beginner’s mind”.
- The four roles of every founder.
- The hierarchy of growth.
For the better part of 40 years, Michael Gerber has been encouraging business owners to work “on, not in” their business. That’s exactly what we do with owners that leverage The Value Builder System™. Each month, you’ll get focused time with one of our Certified Value Builders to help you build your company as if it were a product to sell. Get started by completing your Value Builder questionnaire.
Click to Tweet: Ep. 71 of BuiltToSell Radio: An Interview with The E-Myth’s Michael Gerber.
At Built to Sell we’re all about shifting the balance of power from the buyer to the seller. If you support our mission, please write a review on iTunes—and if you have any comments or questions you can find us on Twitter and Facebook. Tune in every Wednesday for another episode of #BuiltToSell Radio with John Warrillow.
About Michael Gerber, Author of “The E-Myth”
Michael E. Gerber is first thought of as a world renowned business author. His New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Business Week best-selling books of all time have touched the lives of millions of readers throughout the world.
But Michael E. Gerber is much more than just an author. He is a true legend of entrepreneurship. Inc. Magazine calls him “the World’s #1 Small Business Guru”. He started over 40 years ago by addressing a significant need in the small business market: businesses owned primarily by people with technical skills but few entrepreneurial skills, and no place to go to get meaningful help. Over the years, Michael E. Gerber’s companies have provided that help through the delivery of his E-Myth Mastery programs with tens of thousands of small business owners-clients to successfully transform their often broken small businesses into world-class operations.
Michael E. Gerber’s new company, ORIGINATION, currently leads entrepreneurial incubators, called Dreaming Rooms, throughout the world. Let by Gerber’s Certified Dreaming Room FacilitatorsTM, The Dreaming Room awakens the entrepreneur within its participants to discover their Dream, Vision, Purpose and Mission, what Gerber calls the essential four ingredients for the creation of any entrepreneurial enterprise. Michael E. Gerber’s Dream is to transform small business and entrepreneurship worldwide and there is no individual on the face of the earth more likely and determined to do it.
Some Highlights of the Show
- From a company of one to a company to a company of 1,000. [4:20]
- Click to Tweet: Why every company should be built as a product to sell. [5:00]
- “A company of one is a company that depends on the owner.” [4:43]
- How to engage “the beginner’s mind”. [8:12]
- Click to Tweet: The four roles of every founder. [9:06]
- Why Gerber wrote Beyond the E-Myth. [11:27]
- Click to Tweet: The hierarchy of growth: know your dream, purpose, mission. [11:38]
- Click to Tweet: The four stages of building a sellable company. [13:30]
- A business is up to seven turnkey practices plus a turnkey management system. [17:00]
- The most common mistake business owners make. [19:45]
- Beyond the E-Myth drops on December 7th, find it at BeyondEmyth.com [29:19]
Want to Increase the Value of Your Business by Up To 71%?
Take the 13-minute survey and get your Value Builder Score
The Value Builder Score was inspired by the book, Built to Sell. Complete the questionnaire and instantly get your Value Builder Score out of 100. Companies with a score of 80+ typically get offers that are 71% higher than average scoring businesses.
Get Your Score Now It’s free and 100% confidential.